Here’s something a little different for Day 8.
I actually started this painting out of a desire to try out a new brush that I’ve been having issues with. I can get a nice point when it’s fully loaded with paint, but the moment the tip starts to dry out, the hairs split. The brush is a size 1 Winsor & Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable, so I didn’t expect it to be anything less than perfect, but unfortunately the problem is persisting. In this case, however, the difficult brush yielded pretty results (plus it’s good for washes over small areas because it does hold quite a lot of paint, so it’s not all bad).
From afar the painting is a relatively even pattern, but what I love most is that when you look closely each brush stroke is unique.
When I was out walking in the yard with my little niece, Eva, I picked a few grass blossom sprigs. When the painting was done, I saw them in the bud vase, and they seemed like a harmonious pair. I even used my nice camera to take their photo.
This is a gouache painting, about 4.5in by 4.75in on a 6in square piece of Arches 90lb paper.
If you like this painting, leave a comment on this blog post and you’ll be entered to win it. It’s as easy as that! For more information about the giveaway, read the Giveaway Details below.
Many thanks to Abbey Hendrickson from Aesthetic Outburst for providing the inspiration for this project!
- eligibility: open to anyone worldwide.
- how to enter: leave a comment on the giveaway post to be entered to win the painting featured in the post. Feel free to enter to win more than one painting, but only one comment per person per post.
- entry deadline: comments close on the first Sunday morning (EST)* after the post is made (*the exceptions are days 19 & 20 which fall on June 27th & 28th. Days 19 & 20 giveaway posts will close the morning of the 29th, so I can announce the final winners on my actual birthday).
- winner selection & notification: winners will be chosen at random and announced on the blog each Monday for all the giveaways from the previous week.
- how to claim your painting: send me an email at aisforanika -at- gmail -dot- com with your mailing address and I’ll send you the painting you won right away! Winners must send me their response with their mailing address within 72 hours (3 days) of the published time of the notification post or they forfeit the prize in which case another winner will be randomly chosen.