I must have been tired when I was mixing the colors for yesterday’s painting. I wanted to mix a lovely gray for the connecting pattern, but I couldn’t get away from the purplish hue. I convinced myself it was gray enough, even though it was decidedly purple. Thank goodness it worked with the other colors!
Today I realized what I’d done wrong. For some reason I had it in my head that if you mix dark blue and dark red, you get a dark gray. I honestly don’t know how I forgot that dark blue and dark brown is the true magic combination for making gray. No wonder I ended up with purple!
For today’s painting I felt that I had to make the gray I’d been looking for yesterday. I revisited an old motif–perfect for fine-line practice, plus I had the intention of using brighter, more saturated colors for the rounded shapes.
This is a gouache painting that covers the entire 6in square piece of Fabriano Artistico 140lb paper.
If you like this painting, leave a comment on this blog post and you’ll be entered to win it. It’s as easy as that! For more information about the giveaway, read the Giveaway Details below.
Many thanks to Abbey Hendrickson from Aesthetic Outburst for providing the inspiration for this project!
- eligibility: open to anyone worldwide.
- how to enter: leave a comment on the giveaway post to be entered to win the painting featured in the post. Feel free to enter to win more than one painting, but only one comment per person per post.
- entry deadline: comments close on the first Sunday morning (EST)* after the post is made (*the exceptions are days 19 & 20 which fall on June 27th & 28th. Days 19 & 20 giveaway posts will close the morning of the 29th, so I can announce the final winners on my actual birthday).
- winner selection & notification: winners will be chosen at random and announced on the blog each Monday for all the giveaways from the previous week.
- how to claim your painting: send me an email at aisforanika -at- gmail -dot- com with your mailing address and I’ll send you the painting you won right away! Winners must send me their response with their mailing address within 72 hours (3 days) of the published time of the notification post or they forfeit the prize in which case another winner will be randomly chosen.