When I signed up for Artomatic, I had no idea what I would actually present there. I wanted to wait to see what my space would be like before making any major plans, since I knew it could be anything from a 6′ to 20’+ space.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I got an awesome 17′ wide 9′ high wall. After contemplating a few ideas, I settled on one: 10 big paintings, all black and white, on an incredibly brightly colored wall. I considered both red-violet and pinkish-orange, but the pinkish-oranges on the paint samples at the hardware store were brighter, so I chose the brightest called “Lipstick” by Behr.
The wall itself was in pretty good shape, with only a few holes, but there was a cable conduit that I wanted to remove. Unfortunately when I did so, it took big chunks of the wall with it.
This actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because I hadn’t realized that the walls were concrete before then. I would have showed up with nails to hang my paintings, and I would have been disappointed.
I went ahead and taped off the side and bottom edges. Then I hopped on my little footstool and reached up to the ceiling. That’s when I realized I wasn’t going to be able to tape the top edge of the wall! I’m pretty tall (about 5’10”), but my fingertips just brushed the ceiling when I stretched. I didn’t have the accuracy I’d need to tape off the edge properly, so I grumbled a bit as I realized I’d have to come back another day.
Not to be slowed down, I went ahead and painted what I could.
I started like a normal person, painting in the edges with a brush.
Then I had the bright idea that some of the cracks and holes could probably use an extra coat, which would be best done first, so I did that.
I thought the idea was sound, but after I was finished, I talked to a couple of artists who were hanging their work across the way from me and they wondered what my strategy was in painting all over the place with no apparent pattern. At one point they thought I was perhaps painting a mural! Haha. Maybe I was also trying to break up the monotony of painting edges?
Yeah, looking at my progress, I kind of see why they were wondering what my mural would be about. In any case, I kept diligently working, making progress on the edges and the cracks and holes. Then something wonderful happened. A guy came along who was a great deal taller than me. We got to talking and he offered to tape my ceiling line for me! Yay!
Thanks to him, I would be able to finish the wall in one day! Indeed, eventually I was almost done!
And then I was pretty much totally done!
Just had to clean up!
When I was finished and had cleaned up the space, I was so proud of my hard work, I decided to take a self portrait with my brand new brightly painted wall. First, of course, I had to set the self-timer.
Then I actually set the self timer, and I took a super cheesy photo of myself doing jazz hands while wearing my painting pajamas.
Although sweaty, tired, sore, and a little dehydrated, I felt very accomplished. At this point I had about 1.5 weeks to start and finish 10 paintings and get them up on my awesome, bright wall. No problem!