The progression of Day 18’s painting is interesting in that I started out with what I thought was a straightforward idea and ended up with something I didn’t expect. Before I started the painting, I had intended to draw the circles without the added texture, and then color in all of the little slices with various colors.
I drew the circular shapes freehand, and the first try wasn’t close enough to a circle, so I fiddled with it, adding more lines until the shape was what I wanted. To mask my “mistakes,” I added more, similar lines to create the texture within the circles. At this point, I still intended to color in each of the sections.
I took a break halfway through the coloring, and when I came back I liked what I saw–the areas with only texture lent a nice contrast, and in a way provided more movement than if all the slices were fully colored in.
The color of the photos is pretty accurate to the painting, but I wanted to mention that the lightest pink in the photos is quite bright in person. It’s still a very light pink, but it almost glows which adds a lot of energy to the piece. I guess there are just some colors or tones that a camera can’t capture!
This is a gouache painting that covers the entire 6in square piece of Fabriano Artistico 140lb paper.
**A quick reminder about next week: There are only 2 more paintings left to go! I’ll be announcing the winners of Day 19 & 20 on my birthday, Wednesday June 29th. In order to do that, I’ll be closing comments for both paintings early Wednesday morning. Make sure to get your comments in early so you won’t miss out!**
If you like this painting, leave a comment on this blog post and you’ll be entered to win it. It’s as easy as that! For more information about the giveaway, read the Giveaway Details below.
Many thanks to Abbey Hendrickson from Aesthetic Outburst for providing the inspiration for this project!
- eligibility: open to anyone worldwide.
- how to enter: leave a comment on the giveaway post to be entered to win the painting featured in the post. Feel free to enter to win more than one painting, but only one comment per person per post.
- entry deadline: comments close on the first Sunday morning (EST)* after the post is made (*the exceptions are days 19 & 20 which fall on June 27th & 28th. Days 19 & 20 giveaway posts will close the morning of the 29th, so I can announce the final winners on my actual birthday).
- winner selection & notification: winners will be chosen at random and announced on the blog each Monday for all the giveaways from the previous week.
- how to claim your painting: send me an email at aisforanika -at- gmail -dot- com with your mailing address and I’ll send you the painting you won right away! Winners must send me their response with their mailing address within 72 hours (3 days) of the published time of the notification post or they forfeit the prize in which case another winner will be randomly chosen.